Sunday, January 20, 2008

Lucky Girl


One of the things I love about running is when I fall into an almost meditative state of mind. Thoughts free associate and from that stream comes a coherent river of thoughts. I've figured out thousands of my life's problems while I've been out running. Luckily today I had no problems to muddle through. I was out on a sunday afternoon, with no plans, obligations, or worries. Well. ok....a small worry. We are starting on a house remodel and yesterday we spent the day demo'ing a little porch portico. The house looks soo different without it. Next step will be an excavation crew, and a huge hole in the ground and in the house....Yikes! As i trot along through the neighborhood, I am struck by the notion of how lucky I am to even have that worry. The amount of money that is going in to our remodel could feed families of people in another country. I am so lucky to have a good solid job and to have a husband that has one too. I am so lucky that on a cold, cloudy Sunday, I have the free time to move my body and to think, and to know that I am safe, and that I have a safe home to come home to.
My husband pats the dog, who is curled up on her bed. He tells her that the economy is in serious trouble. He tells her it's all Bush's fault, and that we are headed for a recession. She gazes at him soulfully, unconcerned with the economy. She can't make the connection between recession and no more dog cookies. Just like me, she is a lucky girl.

No comments: