Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Product Review- suunto T1

Product Review, Suunto T1 heart rate monitor/watch

FinallyI found a time piece that is simple, and performs all the tasks I require. The suunto T1 is a sexy little watch that measures your heart rate, kcals consumed, and records your time in motion. I never thought I would want to bother with all the trappings of a heart monitor...Big clumsy watch, chest strap, and all for what? My ususal running philosophy consists of shoes and a trail...(Interlude..my amazing RidgeBack has rousted herself from the depths of doggie sleep to pluck, i shit you not, a FLY, out of the air and into her gullet!..After chewing for an unprecedented amount of time, she resumes recumbant position without moving a paw..) I cannot tell you how much fun it is, though, to be able to look down and see that my heart is beating 173 beats per minute while I am sucking wind up some hateful hill...Fun Fun Fun. As far as setting the watch up, I am a fan of Suunto's easy-to-read-and-understand written directions. I have used their dive computers for about 10 years and appreciate their instinctive directions.
The display has large characters that are easy to read while running, the chest strap is small so there is no chaffing. It is no bigger than my running bra strap, and my boobs don't get in the way. The watch can be set up for three HR zones, so you know when you need to step it up, and when you are in your best energy burning zone, or when your heart is about to burst.
The rewards of my running have included seeing some incredible sunrises and sunsets, interesting critters, a sense of accomplishment and peacefulness. Now I get the instant gratification of knowing that I have run off the pint of Ben and Jerry's that I ate the night before.

No comments: