Thursday, June 28, 2007

Learning Something New Every Day

I learned a new word yesterday. Asswaged... Really, it's a word. It has to do with metal working, means to reduce or something like that. When you're trying to stick one piece of metal to another that is what happens, it's asswaged. I wish I knew more about metallurgy. I took a class in metal working one hot summer when I lived in a little town in Western Colorado. I was, let's see, must have been about 27. yup, that's right, hard to believe. Anyway the teacher was so ho ought! His arms were sculpture. I wound up making a funny looking dragonfly. I still have it, it's all rusted now. The drawing of that bug was so much better then the metalness of it could ever be. But I loved the violence of beating that piece of metal into what I wanted it to be...Well alright, I loved watching the metallurgist work the piece of metal into what I wanted.Can I just interject here and say that memories are quite vivid after two lemonade drinks with good vodka on a hot evening.....
Back to asswaged...Iearned this word from a fellow nurse at work. During a lull, computer games are sometimes played on the unit. The BookWorm Is a favorite. So, this guy knew alot of words I didn't. And, I'm not bragging, but I know alot of words,( do I know how to spell them?...Not necessarily). I was pleased to find out that a fellow nurse was so well rounded. I hate to say it, but in Utah, a nurse has almost, a certain stereotype, because nursing is an approved type of work for the little woman. Along with teaching and being a housewife. That sounds so snotty when it's outside my head. I don't mean it that way....(Do I?). Anyway, nursing has seen a new day. There are BOYZ on the unit. I believe there was a NASA study that highlighted that a group with both men and women in it showed the most effective group dynamics. http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/hqlibrary/ppm/ppm17.htm
I truly believe that to be true,truly. ( Sorry I can't find the proper spelling for this word.) I wonder if they ever included a group with gay men or women in it..?
The Hubba Is due back tomorrow, evening. I'm glad, I miss him. First few days he is gone, when on some trip or another, I find the aloneness BLISS. But being alone reminds me of how much I love to be with him. Is that paradoxical?

No comments: